https://www.liquidpoker.net/


LP international Poland latinoamerica Iceland    Contact            Users: 80 Active, 7 Logged in - Time: 21:36

Poker Computer Recommendations

New to LiquidPoker? Register here for free!
Forum Index > Poker Blogs
Daut    United States. Dec 18 2017 18:14. Posts 8831
Right now I have a 5 year old macbook pro which isn't suited for poker, and want to buy a laptop more geared towards poker.

Need recommendations for laptops, and also for all the necessary software I need, such as PIO, monkersolver, etc. Thanks!

0 votes
Facebook Twitter
NewbSaibot: 18 TIMES THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Because FUCK YOU, Daut 

Mortensen8   Chad. Dec 18 2017 19:56. Posts 1737

Don't get laptop for Pio. If you do get asus rog probably. PS mac is gay.

Christian theology is the grandmother of bolshevism - Oswald Spengler 

Fayth    Canada. Dec 18 2017 20:29. Posts 10083

I personally built a desktop with 128gb ram to run preflop PIO, you should most definitely get a desktop if you plan on using solvers, laptops won't cut it.

I still use my old computer to play and the new one so far has been strictly to solve. Haven't tried monkersolver though so no opinion on that.

Im not sure what to do tomorrow when I see her, should I shake her hand?? -Floofy 

Loco   Canada. Dec 18 2017 20:35. Posts 19228

I haven't looked much into specific models and what poker demands these days, but I bought a new laptop a few days ago with an Intel 8th gen cpu and it's really fast and efficient for the money. A quick google search taught me that they're up to 40%-40% faster than the previous generation. No matter what it is you're buying, I certainly wouldn't advise buying the previous gen. Not sure if AMD has good competition for this either.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. (Mencken) 

Stroggoz   New Zealand. Dec 18 2017 20:51. Posts 3978

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/16...l?highlight=threadripper#post52879105

the threadripper is generally considered to be an absolute beast at solving, and very expensive. I didn't get it myself, since i travel a lot. I rent out a server that has 256gig ram and run my sims on that 24/7. I can log onto it from my laptop.

I was GTO in 2007 -wobbly_auLast edit: 18/12/2017 20:52

Spitfiree   Bulgaria. Dec 18 2017 20:53. Posts 8247

macs are the perfect laptops if you're using them for work....
thought they're gay before getting one too, turns out they're awesome

but yeah don't go for a laptop if you want to run PIO, if you build a laptop that could efficiently run it, it will kind of kill the purpose of the laptop itself ( mobility, light weightiness etc.)


Joe   Czech Republic. Dec 18 2017 23:42. Posts 5986

Macs are great for work and overall usage.

As for solvers and other computational intensive stuff: I would probably advise to not use any personal computer for anything serious. I don't have much experience with solvers so not sure how much they need, but for example I don't think I would want to buy equipment for training deep neural networks at home, when I can use huge servers either at university for free or buy the computing power in a cloud from amazon/google/... Personal computers are good for testing/POC stuff etc., for big computing it is better to use big servers that were built for that.

there is a light at the end of the tunnel... (but sometimes the tunnel is long and deep as hell) 

cariadon   Estonia. Dec 19 2017 00:25. Posts 4005

Alpha Go will solve poker in faster than you can say "laptop"


deathstar   United States. Dec 19 2017 13:36. Posts 103

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade
i bought a gaming laptop from razor 5 years ago. Still works well.


Daut    United States. Dec 19 2017 22:50. Posts 8831



How's this look for a build? Will use for poker, coding, gaming, and some general use.

NewbSaibot: 18 TIMES THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Because FUCK YOU, Daut 

Mortensen8   Chad. Dec 20 2017 14:24. Posts 1737

You can get by with much less than that it will just take a couple minutes or less depending but monkersolver and preflop pio I don't know. I'm just waiting for these releases instead https://www.fulldecksolutions.com/ You don't have to wait for it too long you can stop at 0.5%. But sure if you want to go ham then go for it. If you don't go for the preflop then top of the line laptop is probably good enough was just slightly concerned about overheating but I don't know. I guess there are script type stuff that I haven't looked into that you might need more power for.

Christian theology is the grandmother of bolshevism - Oswald SpenglerLast edit: 20/12/2017 15:09

Mortensen8   Chad. Dec 20 2017 14:52. Posts 1737

There's also crev which doesn't require much power

Christian theology is the grandmother of bolshevism - Oswald Spengler 

deathstar   United States. Dec 20 2017 18:12. Posts 103

When are you going to win another big tournament Ryan Daut? I'm a fan. When am I going to see you on pokergo?


dnagardi   Hungary. Dec 21 2017 08:46. Posts 1526

as I have not been playing online poker for many years now, can someone please elaborate how does these solvers work exactly?

You need to set up a range of your opponent and in every situation it gives you the exact move to make?


Naib   Hungary. Dec 23 2017 06:29. Posts 946


  On December 21 2017 07:46 dnagardi wrote:
as I have not been playing online poker for many years now, can someone please elaborate how does these solvers work exactly?

You need to set up a range of your opponent and in every situation it gives you the exact move to make?



I don't have experience with the newer solvers (that will soon change however), but PIO's been out for quite a while: given enough time and computing power, it solves preflop too in HU spots (we're using it for HU HT's and spins). You can work postflop with the optimal preflop range as a starting point to build a GTO strategy.

You can do what you said as well: inputting a perceived range of your opponent in any given spot, and your own range, then it calculates optimal strategies on different board textures. Only works for HU spots though (like CO vs BB, EP vs BU for example).

Monkersolver supposedly does this in multiway spots and PLO as well.

Edit: afaik there are other solvers as well, which take way less time than PIO for solving preflop strategies. the name escapes me though.

My favourite line is Bet/Fold. I bet, you fold.Last edit: 23/12/2017 06:30

dnagardi   Hungary. Dec 24 2017 13:57. Posts 1526


  On December 23 2017 05:29 Naib wrote:
Show nested quote +



I don't have experience with the newer solvers (that will soon change however), but PIO's been out for quite a while: given enough time and computing power, it solves preflop too in HU spots (we're using it for HU HT's and spins). You can work postflop with the optimal preflop range as a starting point to build a GTO strategy.

You can do what you said as well: inputting a perceived range of your opponent in any given spot, and your own range, then it calculates optimal strategies on different board textures. Only works for HU spots though (like CO vs BB, EP vs BU for example).

Monkersolver supposedly does this in multiway spots and PLO as well.

Edit: afaik there are other solvers as well, which take way less time than PIO for solving preflop strategies. the name escapes me though.


köszönöm


k4ir0s   Canada. Jan 20 2018 07:50. Posts 3347


  On December 18 2017 19:35 Loco wrote:
I haven't looked much into specific models and what poker demands these days, but I bought a new laptop a few days ago with an Intel 8th gen cpu and it's really fast and efficient for the money. A quick google search taught me that they're up to 40%-40% faster than the previous generation. No matter what it is you're buying, I certainly wouldn't advise buying the previous gen. Not sure if AMD has good competition for this either.



Wish I would have read this before buying a 7th gen dell xps 15

I dont know what a dt drop is. Is it a wrestling move? -Oly 

 



Copyright © 2018. LiquidPoker.net All Rights Reserved
Contact Advertise Sitemap